Thursday, February 18, 2010

A big change!

My sweet girl has always been a fantastic sleeper, and any mom would agree that in itself is a huge blessing. I have worked very hard and tried to be super consistent on sleep training and I think it has really paid off!

Of all the books I have read, i have gathered that most toddlers are ready to graduate to 1 nap a day around 14-16 months. Well not mine. The past week my little one has slept like a champ for her morning nap, but not at all for her 2nd. You can imagine my mind going in so many different directions when trying figure this out (growth spurt, change in diet, teething as we are cutting 5 more teeth right now, room temp, everything!) seeing as how she has been a baby that goes by the book in almost every way. Well after 8 days of basically not taking the nap even when having the full oportunity to do so, I have come to realize that at 13 months, she is ready for one nap.

Today was the day. Her morning nap was always around 10 am. So I realize in the transition, that the morning nap will need to be phased out slowly and will eventually turn into a 2 pm nap lasting about 2 hours (or I hope!). So today we pushed it back and my big girl made it until 10:48 am. She did so good making it almost 50 minutes later. She never fussed, she finally just looked at me and night night. Then she repeated herself, and I put her in bed! She did great! I am hoping that by 14 months we can have that 1 nap starting closer to 2.

I was hesitant at first, that this was the right time, but I finally came too...she is getting older and it was time! I also had to take into consideration that she get well over 12 hours of sleep at night (which I regard as the most important sleep) and so 1 nap during the day would still allow for getting all the sleep her busy little body needs!

This transition is just another reminder to me that she is not a baby at all any longer. I am so thankful for my happy, healthy, growing girl!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

The Skains Family said...

I remember dropping that morning nap was hard with my first one, but believe me you will end up loving it. And she will probably do more of a 2 1/2 hour to 3 hour nap. You also have much more time for morning activities. Good luck! By the way my 2nd dropped her at 13months too, but mostly because I was ready for them to both to be on one schedule.