Sunday, September 11, 2011

9.11.01 - 9.11.11

I was 18 years old on September 11, 2001. Clearly, that morning started out just like any other morning.

I had 1st period off my senior year, so when the planes crashed into the north and south towers I was at home.

I was getting ready for school that morning to the tune of Power 103.7 in Abilene. I was beyond annoyed that for some reason they were not playing music. Clearly, I was in need of some Nelly, Usher, Brittney....but no, it was talk talk talk talk.

So then, I started listening to what all the talk was really about. They talked about the first tower being hit, and I remember being a little bit thrown off by that, but like the rest of the country, I thought it was an accidental issue.

By the time I got in my honda CRV and headed to school, the 2nd tower had been hit. I realized then that this day was a day to be remembered. A day in history. I needed to remember where I was and what my surroundings were.

I entered into a super somber Abilene High School. I walked down the hall, and realized every single classroom had their television playing. It was eerie quiet, as no one had any words to say.

That was the rest of the day. We watched TV. The bell would ring, we would walk to the next class in almost complete silence to watch more coverage. We watched as the Pentagon went under attack.

A calm and collected President Bush addressed the nation. America was clearly under attack.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



It is a day I will never forget. I remember being thankful that I was not directly connected to any one person who bravely died that day. I was deeply sorry for those who were not as lucky as I was. At 18, as much as of an adult that I thought I was, I realize now I was no where near mature enough to understand the impact this terrible tragedy had on our country.

Today, 10 years later, I sat and watched the news coverage about that day. The same way I did 10 years ago. Except today, I had a deeper understanding of the loss. The hurt. The severity of those events had on every single American. Directly connected or not.

I sat with my 2.5 year old, who pointed at the television and said, "Whats that, mama?"

I answered, "It was a day in history. You will learn all about it someday." I told her (and this is probably all she understood), "It was a sad day, Anslee."

Her happy heart was satisfied with that answer. I told myself she has many years to see such devastation, and that it was enough for her. The TV went off.

I tweeted earlier today that since 9.11.01 my life went from good to great. It has gone from happy to overwhelmed with joy. If on that day you would have asked me what my dream life would be, I would have answered you with the description of the life I live today.

06.01.02 I graduated High School

08.22.02
Began my College journey here.


05.07.06

I graduated College with a degree in Psychology.



08.02.06

I landed my first full time professional job. Human Resource Recruiter for Lauren Engineers and Constructors.





9.26.06

We went on our 1st (official) date.



05.22.07

I said yes.




12.09.07

I said I do


06.09.08

SURPRISE! We found out that Anslee was on her way!



09.26.08

Tyler Graduates from The Texas Department of Public Safety Academy and begins Trooperhood.



01.22.09

Welcome our baby girl, Anslee Elyse Moses. 4 lbs 11 oz 18 inches


09.27.09

We bought our first home!(picture obviously not taken in September, but its the only one I could find)



05.24.10

We were thrilled to find out that Kensington Kay was on her way!



06.19.10

My sweet and loving grandmother went to be with her Jesus. We miss her, but we are certain she is perfectly happy where she is at!



1.19.11

Our sweet Kensington made her very vocal arrival. Love that sweet girl.



As I reflect back on the past 10 years, I am so very thankful for what I have been blessed with. I am humbled in knowing that the Lord has answered my greatest prayers and granted me my hearts deepest desires.

I am also appreciative to those who fight daily for my freedoms. The very freedoms that have allowed me to experience the very richness of life that I have lived these past 10 years.

May the next 10 years be filled with the same joys, and might I never forget who to thank for the ability I have to enjoy this sweet life.

God Bless America!

No comments: