Saturday, June 4, 2011

The exercise of Motherhood

Did you know that motherhood and exercise have A LOT in common? People, motherhood could be exercise for the soul.

Both are challenging and rewarding.

Both take patience and persistence.

You get better as you go. You build on what you have.

The more you put in, the more you get out.

Sometimes you want to give up.

Some days you are stronger than others.

Discipline is key.

Its a mental and physical game.

Both take a lot of time and endurance.

Both stretch you in so many ways that make you better.

You love how you feel at the end of the day.

In the end, the harder you work the better off you are for it.



I started noticing this recently, as I thought back about the journey I have been on with having two babies to tend to. When Kensington came into the picture, it was like I had to learn motherhood all over again. Yes, I had been a mom for 2 years prior to her joining us, but everything was different.

It was like I had gotten out of shape. I needed to re-train those mommy muscles. Motherhood was requiring something different out of me. I had to start all over to build up to where I had been. I had to relearn how to plan out my day. It took me literally 4 months solid to really get a handle on a typical day with two at home. Things are starting to fall back into place now. I am finally building back up to a pace of life that is comfortable for me. I can endure my days with a little less stress and I am more confident with how far I can be stretched.

It feels so good to know that things are settling into a new normal around here. Its such a relief to know full well that I can take care of two kids at home by myself (well, until Tyler comes home of course) and that I have a plan to do so that works nicely.

Now, if I can just get my body back into shape...sigh. One step at a time.

No comments: